Fiber also known as roughage is the part of plant food that is undigested. It gets stored in your gut and is eventually expelled out of the body through the stools.
Fiber and natural fiber supplements aid in the proper bowel movement and inhibits you from suffering from bowel problems like constipation.
The significance of fiber in your diet
Having sufficient fiber (18 grams daily) in your diet makes your stool soft and easy to defecate.
· It also prevents and treats constipation
· It minimizes your likelihood of suffering from bowel issues like diverticular disease, haemorrhoids and anal fissure.
· It helps in weight loss. It creates a feeling of fullness but doesn’t add extra calorie to your diet or get digested.
· It minimizes your risk of suffering from bowel cancer.
· It helps in the reduction of cholesterol level and regulates the level of blood sugar.
· It may minimize your possibility of suffering from diabetes.
Types of fiber and fiber supplements
The fiber in the food you it is of two forms: soluble and insoluble fiber. They perform different function in your body.
You therefore need to incorporate the two forms of fiber in your everyday diet. The majority of fibrous foods have a mixture of both types in them.
Insoluble fiber and Insoluble fiber supplements
Insoluble fiber is the type of fiber that does not dissolve in water. It goes through your digestive tract and passes out through your stool unaltered. It makes the stool more bulky and makes it easy to pass through digestive system.
It neutralizes the pH condition of your intestines and inhibits colon cancer. It is mostly present in seeds, nuts, fruit skin, maize, dark green leafy veggies, wheat bran and whole grains. Fiber supplements for constipation are usually made with some of these ingredients.